Sunday, May 21, 2006


LONDON
The Wolseley Cafe and Restaurant. On entering The Wolseley, right on Piccadilly and next to The Ritz Hotel, one gets the impression of entering a noisy French brassiere. It is only when you settle down, and look more closely, that you can tell the various activities the space has accommodated over the years. From a motor car showroom for Wolseley cars in the 1920's - hence the name - to a bank and then a Chinese restaurant. The Wolseley is the hot spot for breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week and it is very difficult to get a table, especially in the celebrity central section. The impressive surrounding, the arched windows and soaring marble columns all contribute to the great atmosphere of the place. The food is delicious as well. And, though I am on a diet, I could not resist one of my favorite puddings, Floating Islands, which are very difficult to come by on restaurant menus. I love this old fashioned nursery pudding. Thanks to Christie's Magazine, editor in chief, Meredith Etherington Smith for taking me there. She confessed "I hold most of my business meetings in here, even though my office is just around the corner."
The Wolseley, 160 Piccadilly, London W1 +44(0)20 7499 6996 www.theritzlondon.com www.christies.com
Pin It

No comments: